What viscosity is suitable for the Audi A6 engine?
The viscosity is suitable for 10W-30, 10W-40, 15W-50, 0W-30, 5W-30, 5W-40, 5W-50. For the latest models, 0W-20 is recommended. It depends on the environment and the condition of the engine.
How much oil is in an Audi A6 engine?
5 liters of the canister is enough, as a rule. Look at this point in the article, the volume depends on the engine model.
What is the oil change interval in an Audi A6?
7,000 to 10,000 miles or once a year.
All oils are selected based on vehicle tolerances, SAE and ACEA compliance.
For pre-1997 gasoline models. – 500.00 or 501.01.
For diesel models prior to 1997. – 500.00 or 505.00.
For gasoline models from 1998-99 inclusive 500.00, 501.01, 502.00. In the case of cars from the year 2000 with LongLife Service model year letter Y, 503.00 with 154 kW or 503.01 is used.
For diesel models from the build year 1998-99 inclusive use 505.00 and 505.01. In the case of cars built in 2000 with LongLife Service model year letter Y use 506.00 greases. For vehicles equipped with a 115/130 hp injector/pump engine. (85/96 kW) use 506.01 greases.
For gasoline engines built-in 2004-2011 MY with LongLife maintenance it is acceptable to use 503.00, 503.01, 504.00. For other models 501.01, 502.00, 504.00, 505.01.
For diesel engines built between 2004-2011 and models with LongLife Service, it is 507.00. For cars without LongLife Service 505.00, 505.01, 507.00.
For gasoline models from the 2010 model year. 502.00, 504.00.
For diesel engines from 2010 model year. 507.00.
ACEA A2/B3 or higher.
Viscosity 10W-30, 10W-40, 15W-50, 0W-30, 5W-30, 5W-40, 5W-50. For the latest models, 0W-20 is recommended. Most often pour 0W-30, 5W-30, in engines with mileage 10W-40.
For engine-specific viscosity information, refer to the engine oil interchangeability catalog: https://www.northsealubricants.com/en/oil-advisor
The catalog can be trusted, the data are taken from the car manufacturers. It is possible to select not only oil for the engine but also for the transmission, gears, brake system, cooling system.
Original AUDI (VAG) oils for Audi A6
VAG Special G 5W-40, 5 L
VAG Special G 5W-40, 1 L
VAG Special Plus 5W-40, 5 L
VAG Special Plus 5W-40, 1 L
VAG Special D 5W-40, 5 L
VAG Special D 5W-40, 1 L
VAG LongLife III FE 0W-30, 5 L
VAG LongLife III FE 0W-30, 1 L
VAG LongLife III 5W-30, 5 L
VAG LongLife III 5W-30, 1 L
Audi A6 C4 1991-1997
The manufacturer of Audi A6 recommends using different motor oils depending on the type of engine.
According to the Audi A6 instruction manual, we recommend engine oils with SAE viscosity 10W-30 or 15W-50, corresponding to VW500 00 or VW501 01 (Duckhams Q) or (Premium Petrol Engine Oil or Duckhams Hypergrade Petrol Engine Oil).
The amount of engine oil required when changing, including the oil filter, is:
- 3.0 L for 4-cylinder engines;
- 4.5 L for 5-cylinder engines.
Engine fluid change interval is 15 thousand km. However, the manufacturer recommends changing the lubricant more frequently (at least twice a year). The need for changing the fluid is indicated by the “OEL” symbol on the Audi A6 display.
Diesel power units
Lubricants in viscosity grades SAE 10W-30 or 15W-50 according to VW500 00 or VW505 00 (Duckhams Q) or (Premium Diesel Engine Oil or Duckhams Hypergrade Diesel Engine Oil) must be used.
The volume of lubricant required at replacement, including filter, is:
- 3.5 L for 4-cylinder engines;
- 5.0 L for 5-cylinder engines.
Lubricant change is recommended every 15,000 km. For cars equipped with AAS engines, the oil and filter are changed every 7,500 km. The factory has indicated that more frequent engine fluid changes are acceptable – this will extend the life of the power train and lubrication system. The need for lubricant change is indicated by the word “OEL” in the Audi A6’s display.
Audi A6 C5 1997-2005
VW/AUDI have set lubricant specifications for their car models. These standards are specified on the oil packaging, for the manufacturer Audi A6 in principle the use of original engine oils that meet the requirements of VW.
AUDI A6 since the model year 2000 applies the LongLife Service system, the distinguishing letter of the model year Y and chassis number 4BYN 002 888. Please note: motor oils to the specifications 503 00, 503 01, 506 00, 506 01 are only intended for vehicles with LongLife service and are not suitable for vehicles with engines built prior to 2000 model year.
Guidelines for VW/AUDI engine oil standards:
- Production date must be no earlier than 10/91.
- For LongLife vehicles, if the recommended lubricant is not available, fluids meeting the API oil grade SF or SG may be used. For diesel cars the alternative engine oils are those meeting the API CD oil type.
- If the LongLife service oil has not been used in the vehicle, the service indicator must be reprogrammed when the engine fluid is changed.
- If there is no LongLife lubricant, it is allowed to fill up to 0.5 l of VW/AUDI 505 00 or 505 01 in engines that work on diesel fuel and VW/AUDI 502 00 for petrol power units.
Keep in mind: motor oils that are manufacturer’s for diesel engines, marked CD must not be used for gasoline engines. SG/CD motor oils may be used for both types of engines
The recommended engine oil for Audi A6 depends on the year of manufacture of the car:
- For vehicles up to and including 1999, motor oils 500 00, 501 01, 502 00 must be used.
- In the case of cars from the year 2000 and up with LongLife Service with the letter Y, 503 00 with 154 kW or 503 01 are used.
The volume of lubricant required for replacement is:
- L if AJP/ARH/ADR/AQE 1.8 engines;
- 3.7 l for AEB/APU/ANB/AWT 1.8T engines;
- 4.2 l if ALT 2.0 engines;
- 6.0 l for AGA/ALF/APS/ARJ/BDV 2.4 engines;
- 6.9 L in the case of AJK/ ARE 2.7 T qu engines;
- 6.5 l in the case of ACK/ALG/APR/AQD/ASN 2.8 engine;
- 7.5 L in the case of ARS/ASG/AQJ/ANK engines.
For Audi A6, running on diesel fuel, the manufacturer recommends using these oils:
- For cars up to and including 1999 model year use automotive oils 505 00, 505 01.
- In the case of cars from model year 2000 with LongLife Service with the letter of manufacture Y, 506 00 lubricants are used.
- For cars equipped with a 115/130hp injector/pump engine. (85/96 kW) use 506 01 greases.
The volume of engine oil required at changeover is:
- L for 1.9 TDI AFN/AVG/AJM/AWX/AVF engines
- 6.0 L if 2.5 TDI engines AFB/AKN/AYM/BCZ or 2.5 TDI qu AKE/BDA.
1.For gasoline engines it is allowed to use:
- A – all-season oils with increased anti-friction properties, corresponding to VW 500 00 or 502 00.
- B – all-season motor oils corresponding to VW 501 01, as well as SF or SG according to API system.
2.For turbo diesel engines:
- B – all-season lubricants that meet VW 505 00.
The manufacturer specifies that it is preferable to pour all-season auto oils. Their advantage is that there is no need to buy different types of oils for summer and winter. According to diagram 1, for example, at temperatures from -100C to +400C (and more) for turbo engine power units it is necessary to use auto oils 15W-40, 15W-50 or 20W-40, 20W-50. At prolonged ambient temperatures below -200C it is recommended to use greases with viscosity index 5W-20.
Audi А6 C6 2004-2011
The recommended engine oil for the Audi A6 is determined by the type of engine.
For Audi A6 models with LongLife Service it is essential to use LongLife motor oil. VW 503 00, 503 01, 504 00 automotive oils can be used. In urgent situations, when the level of engine oil has dropped below the mark “minimum” and there is no possibility to buy the oil recommended by the producer, it is allowed to add not more than 0,5 l of alternative lubricating liquid corresponding to VW 501 01, 502 00, 504 00 and 505 01.
For cars which are not covered by the LongLife Service, VW 501 01, 502 00, 504 00, 505 01 may be used. The interval between scheduled oil changes is 1 year or 15,000 km of mileage. In emergency situations, when there is no possibility to fill up the automotive fluid recommended by the manufacturer, it is allowed to use lubricants that meet the ACEA standard of oil classes A2 or A3.
The amount of lubricant required at the time of changing, including the oil filter, is:
- approximately 4.5 liters if 4-cylinder engine (125 kW), front-wheel drive;
- approx. 6.5 l for a 6-cylinder engine (130 kW), front or all-wheel drive
- Approximately 6.3 liters for a 6-cylinder engine (160 kW), front-wheel or all-wheel drive;
- Approximately 6.5 liters for a 6-cylinder engine (188 kW), front-wheel or all-wheel drive;
- Approximately 8.8 liters for the 8-cylinder engine (246 kW), all-wheel drive.
Only VW 507 00 engine oils are recommended for Audi A6 cars with particle filter afterburner and they comply with the LongLife Service and service intervals. Do not mix LongLife motor oils with other engine lubricants. In emergency situations where no LongLife oils are available for refilling, small amounts of VW 506 00, 506 01, 505 00, 505 01 may be used.
LongLife Service has developed lubricants that promote longer service intervals. VW 506 00, 506 01, 507 00 lubricants are recommended as part of the LongLife Service.
For machines without LongLife Service lubricants 505 00, 505 01, 507 00 should be used. In urgent cases where the specified oil is missing, it is permissible to fill up once with approx. 0.5 litres of automotive oil corresponding to ACEA specification B3 or B4. Periodicity of maintenance of such cars is 1 year or 15 thousand km of run.
Volume of automatic oil required for replacement including oil filter equals:
- approximately 3.8 liters, if 4-cylinder engine (100 kW or 103 kW), front-wheel drive;
- approx. 8.2 l for a 6-cylinder engine (120 kW or 132 kW), front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive;
- about 8.2 L for a 6-cylinder engine (155 kW or 165 kW), all-wheel drive.
Audi A6 C7 c 2010
The recommended engine oil for the Audi A6 depends on the engine type.
According to the manual, it is recommended to use motor oils that comply with VW 502 00 or 504 00. In emergency cases, when it is necessary to add lubricating oil, but the recommended one is absent, it is acceptable to add about 0.5 liter of ACEA A3 or API SM with viscosity grade SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-30 or SAE 5W-40 depending on climate conditions outside the vehicle.
The volume of engine fluid required for replacement is:
- 4.7 L for 2.0 L TFSI 252 hp engines;
- 6.8 litres in the case of 3.0 L TFSI 333 hp engines
- 8.7 l for the 4.0 L TFSI 450 hp engines.
From the vehicle Owner’s Manual, it is recommended that oils conforming to VW 507 00 should be used. In exceptional cases, a single refill (max. 0.5 litres) of ACEAC 3 or API CF lubricant with viscosity grade SAE 0W-30 or SAE 5W-30 is permitted, depending on the temperature of the region in which the vehicle is being driven. The engine fluid required for replacement in 3.0 L TDI 240 hp engines is 6.4 liters
The recommended engine oil for Audi A6 must meet the requirements of VW/AUDI. If it is necessary to top up the motor oil, it is allowed to add no more than 0.5 liters of alternative lubricant that meets the parameters specified in the car’s manual. New cars are filled at the factory with engine grease, which can be used for a year. For most models of Audi A6 it is recommended to pour in synthetic greases, as they have a wider range of working temperatures than semi-synthetic and mineral oil. It is forbidden to use additional additives to the engine oil.